About John McGuire
John McGuire graduated in medical herbalism in 1978 and naturopathy in 1979. His training and knowledge in both complementary medicine and the medical sciences has enabled him to successfully combine traditional medicine and modern scientific technique in his lecturing and practice.
For over 31 years John has devoted his life to practicing traditional medicine, lecturing, research, and publishing scientific papers. His teaching posts have enabled him to educate both students, and a vast number of professionals (engaged in post-graduate training). These include biochemists, dieticians, doctors, herbalists, naturopaths, nurses, pharmacists, professors, etc.
University Masters Degree (with Distinction) in Complementary Medicine
DBM, ND, DHT, DH Pharm (Post Grad), BHlthSc (Comp Med), MHlthSc with Distinction (Comp Med), MATMS, MCMPAC, MNHAA.
Provider No. ATMS0484HN
Health Scientist / Complementary and Traditional Medicine Specialist.
(John McGuire is a registered provider with all private health funds)
• Herbal Medicine
• Nutritional Counselling/Dietetics
His diverse history in complementary medicine includes:
• Senior lecturer in herbal medicine and naturopathic clinic supervisor at the NSW College of Osteopathic and Natural Sciences (St. Leonards) Sydney 1980-1982
• Senior lecturer in symptomatology and diagnosis/pathology at Nature Care College (Chatswood) Sydney 1982-1983
• Vice President of The National Herbalist Association of Australia 1982
• Guest lecturer to The Australian Pharmaceutical Industry 1982
• Tutor NSW University 1982-1983
• Lecturer in herbal medicine at The Southern Cross herbal School (Glebe) Sydney 1982-1983
• Consulting editor in herbal medicine for both Nature and Health, and Australian well-being Magazine
• Consultant for Blackmore’s Professional Services
• Dean of The Australasian College of Natural Therapies
and senior lecturer (Ultimo) Sydney 1984-1987
• Senior lecturer in symptomatology and diagnosis/clinical methods/nutritional biochemistry/clinical chemistry/herbal pharmacology, and naturopathic clinic supervisor at Nature Care College (Artarmon) Sydney 1987-1989
• Senior lecturer in symptomatology and diagnosis for The Southern Cross Herbal School, (Gosford) NSW 1995
• Dean and senior lecturer in herbal pharmacology and drug interaction for SEARCH Scientific and Education (Killara and Chatswood) Sydney 1989-1996
• Honorarium, Novogen Women’s Health and Advisory Board, Sydney 2001-2003
• Conducting ongoing research into irritable bowel syndrome at Charles Sturt University (Albury, Bathurst, and Wagga Wagga campuses) 2001-2007
• Commenced Publishing scientific articles on irritable bowel syndrome 2005-2007
* Continued lecturing on his scientific research into
For over 30 years John has devoted his life to practicing traditional medicine, lecturing, research, and publishing scientific papers. His teaching posts have enabled him to educate both students, and a vast number of professionals (engaged in post-graduate training). These include biochemists, dieticians, doctors, herbalists, naturopaths, nurses, pharmacists, professors, etc.
John D. McGuire is an EXPERT REVIEWER with the HEALTH CARE COMPLAINTS COMMISSION (HCCC) of NSW
What is an expert reviewer?
As an expert reviewer, I am asked by the Health Care Complaints Commission (HCCC) of NSW to review and make comment about a complaint made against a particular practitioner (those practising natural therapies) by a patient.
This involves describing the appropriate standard that would be reasonably expected of a practitioner with equivalent training or experience to that of the practitioner subjectto the complaint.
The expert reviewer is asked to provide an opinion as to whether the conduct of the practitioner is below that standard, and if it is, whether it is significantly below the standard expected.
Phone: Please call the mobile number as the main line is temporarily down
Mobile: (0418) 292 809
King George Chambers (opposite the Strand Arcade)
Suite 311, Level 3,
375-377 George Street,
Sydney NSW 2000